Date & time
The Japan Update 2017: Seeking new directions is the fifth Japan Update since the series was established in 2013.
The Update is the flagship conference of the Australia-Japan Research Centre (AJRC) in Crawford School of Public Policy, and the Japan Institute at The Australian National University. Bringing together experts from Australia, Japan and around the region the Update provides a comprehensive overview of Japan’s current economic and political landscape, gives an ‘update’ on the country’s recent developments and future directions. The 2017 Update focused on the economy, politics and innovation.
A number of distinguished and prominent scholars shared their insights and latest research on Japan, including:
- The Hon Julie Bishop MP, Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Mr Toshitaka Sekine, Director-General of the Research and Statistics Department, Bank of Japan
- Professor Fumiaki Kubo, University of Tokyo and Senior Fellow at The Tokyo Foundation
- Professor Reiko Aoki, Commissioner, Japan Fair Trade Commission
- Professor Graham Durant, Director, Questacon, The National Science and Technology Centre
- Professor Rikki Kersten, Dean, School of Arts, Murdoch University
- Associate Professor Nobuhiro Aizawa, Kyushu University
- Mr Josh Flannery, Director, FounderLab, UNSW
- Professor Brian Anderson, ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Dr Shiro Armstrong, Co-Director, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Professor Jenny Corbett, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Emeritus Professor Peter Drysdale, East Asia Bureau of Economic Research, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Professor Ippei Fujiwara, Co-Director, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Dr Llewelyn Hughes, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Dr Amy King, Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs
The Japan Update 2017 program is available in the downloads tab and photos from the day are available in the gallery tab.
Audio podcasts of each panel can be found on the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific website and video podcasts are available via ANU TV:
- Opening remarks and panel 1: Australia-Japan relationship
- Keynote speech by the Minister for Foreign Affairs the Hon Julie Bishop MP and economics keynote speech by Dr Toshitaka Sekine, Bank of Japan
- Panel 2: Japan in a new global system
- Panel 3: Japan’s innovation agenda and closing remarks
The Japan Update 2017 is supported by funding from the Australia-Japan Foundation of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Japan Foundation, Sydney.
Previous Japan Updates have brought leading academics from Australia, Japan and the US who are internationally recognised for their contributions to Japan research. Speakers at Updates have included Professors Gerald Curtis (Columbia University), Hitoshi Tanaka (University of Tokyo), Richard Samuels (MIT), Yoshihide Soeya (Keio University), Tessa Morris-Suzuki (ANU) and Peter Drysdale (ANU).
Take a look at previous Updates, podcasts and speakers via the links below.